To initiate, facilitate, coordinate and catalyse the implementation of a Comprehensive Rural Development programme that leads to sustainable, equitable and vibrant rural communities. Rural Development is structured in two branches, the one is responsible for Social, Technical, Rural Livelihoods and Institutional Facilitation (STRIF) and the other is responsible for Rural Infrastructure Development (RID).
- To reach all the poorest rural wards in all rural municipalities by 2014
- To establish food gardens and Agriparks CRDP wards by 2014
- To skill and capacitate rural communities and land reform beneficiaries in technical enterprise development trades
- To develop and utilize innovative service delivery models to enhance food production and ensure food security
- To increase number of jobs created in CRDP initiatives by 2014
- To provide economic infrastructure in rural areas effectively reducing spatial inequalities by 5%;
- To provide social infrastructure in rural areas effectively reducing spatial inequalities by 5%;
- To provide ICT infrastructure in rural areas effectively reducing spatial inequalities by 5%;
- To establish village agricultural industries and agricultural by 2014
- To establish and support Councils of Stakeholders, cooperatives and community based institutions in each CRDP site by 2012
- To establish partnerships or economic productivity on CRDP sites
- To improve disaster management service in rural areas and land reform projects by 2012.